EDUCATION AND CARDIOVASCULAR AGEING COURSE
Leader: Laure Joly, Department of Geriatrics
Objectives and resources
The objectives of this WP are to organize an interdisciplinary transversal high level education program to support and strengthen the actions of the FHU. For this purpose, CARTAGE can rely on several teams involved in academic training at the Nancy Faculté de Médecine or at PRES Lorraine University, CRA training (FARC DIU) coordination by the academic research organisation EDDH (spin off of CIC-P) and the School of surgery. The planned educational program will aim at ensuring specific training for scientists, physicians and care givers on the mechanisms and the management of CV ageing.
Task 1: Creating an academic educational program on cardiovascular ageing
The ultimate objective would be to establish a specific Masters degree on cardiovascular ageing. This could be achieved through three ways.
- Build on the existing: the Lorraine University, through its UFR Sciences Médicales, has already instituted 3 masters programs (ISSM, Masters in Ethics of Health and Forensic Medicine, Masters in Public health and Environment) which could integrate specific topics on cardiovascular ageing and professionalizing education programs for CRAs (clinical research associate) coordinated by the academic research organization, simulation surgery training school in order to improve professional development and education of investigators for clinical trials (mandated by the GIRCI Est (Groupement Interrégional de Recherche clinique et d’innovation) to the ESP (Ecole de Santé Publique)(20, 21).
- The Masters in Public Health and Environment has also opened a full e-learning program since 2009 (built on the Grand-Est interregional network of public health teachers (5 universities in 5 regions).
- Create a new Masters program based on the FHU approach and cardiovascular ageing In addition, a specific CV ageing course could be added to the Doctoral School BioSe which englobes most of the academic research teams involved in the FHU. The chosen topics will encompass curses on:
- The mechanisms of CV ageing: basic concepts for new diagnostic, preventive and therapeutic strategies
- Biomarkers of interest: from bench to bedside
- New techniques for the diagnosis and the treatment of CV diseases
- Geriatric comprehensive assessment
- Translational research: Interest for clinicians and biologists
- Clinical trials: Methodological and clinical aspects
- Simulation-based teaching in geriatric medicine: simulation mannequins center and simulated clinical documentation on ageing (the center already exists at Lorraine University)
- Creation of a MOOC (Massive open online courses) platform on CV ageing website: to provide continuous CV ageing and geriatric education.
Task 2: High profile workshops on cardiovascular ageing for advanced translational research
Since 2005, Nancy-CIC-P organizes an annual high profile Transatlantic biomarker working group workshop. These Workshops would be extended to other themes to cover all aspects of cardiovascular ageing. The possibility of establishing additional workshops will be further explored. This will also include looking for specific funding in the framework of WP4 dissemination.
Task 3: Support the implementation of European level training networks
Among the objectives of FHU-CARTAGE which would also have a structuring effect, we intend to 19 prepare, together with other European centers of excellence on cardiovascular ageing, Innovative Training Networks for advanced researchers in the framework of H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie and Erasmus Mundus for the Masters. These programs will be built on the excellence as well as the innovative 4 transversal axes set in CARTAGE. This will have the beneficial effect of establishing Nancy as one of the excellence centers in CV ageing in Europe, to welcome high level young scientists and thus increase the international components of the different teams involved. Finally, the successful establishment of ITN or Erasmus programs could set the basis for a future European PhD program on CV ageing. Moreover, more attention is needed to situational awareness in ageing cardiovascular surgical training with the creation of a non-technical and technical surgical skills training course.
Task 4: Creating university credits for nurses and other care-givers
This task aims at implementing specific training for nurses on the specificities of cardiovascular ageing in patient care. This training will be part of their professional career development and would count as university credits. The use of the simulation-based teaching center will be of interest for nursing professional development specialists.